Monday, March 26, 2012

Pan Fried Cod

Mmm.. lovely! Except that watery mashed cauliflower in the top right, ignore that mess. :)


How much do I love this pan fried cod? Let me count the ways..

1) Almond flour, oh so fabulous and hearty and nutty and..well, fabulous. Don't be afraid of almond flour.

2) Butter! You can't go wrong with butter. Good, wholesome butter. 

3) You can adjust the flavors to meet your particular fancy, I just love that.

4) Did I mention that I'm in awe of the almond flour? Because I was feeling mild trepidation towards covering some fish with ground up almonds, but fear not, it was delicious and more than holds a candle to a covered in white flour substitute. The almond flour has so much more substance, texture and flavor, I can hardly imagine using anything else at this point.

5) Did I mention the butter? because it deserves to be mentioned.

6) Guess what I will always have on hand from this point forward? Everything needed for this recipe.


Pan Fried Cod
adapted from Nourished Kitchen
serves 4

ingredients

3/4 cup almond flour
1/2 teaspoon sea salt
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper (if desired)
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/2 teaspoon onion powder
1 1/2 lbs cod filets
1 egg, beaten
butter, for frying (1/4-1/2 cup)

Mix together all the dry ingredients and put them in a bowl, big enough to dredge the filets in. You can use any seasonings you desire, I loved the cayenne pepper but you might not.

Dip the cod filets in the egg, then cover in the filet with the seasoned almond flour. Cover the whole thing, you'll want it all on every surface.

Melt the butter in a heavy bottomed skillet and fry the cod in the butter until cooked through and golden on both sides. Flip it once. This should take about 4 minutes per side, about.

Enjoy! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any questions? Did I miss something in my post? Can you make a great connection to something above? I'd love to hear it! Share!