Thursday, July 19, 2012

food for thought



strolling through central park


Just last week I returned from a 12 day trip to the East Coast. I had a blast and devoured delicious food and amazing American history. I am now feeling all that fairly processed food I consumed while on the trip. Yikes. My body is not happy.

getting on the metro in DC


Part of the trip was a sponsored teacher education thing where I had very little control over what we were served (but I did help myself to the biscuits and gravy at the breakfast buffet, twice! I was in Virginia! How could I resist?) and the other part was just for fun. I leave on Friday for a 10 day trip up north. We are staying in a little condo with a kitchen and I plan to be a lot more on top of my food choices while we are away. I'm even bringing my immersion blender so I can make a quick green smoothie every morning to go with my eggs. 

green smoothie and yogurt parfait from yola in DC, one of my favorite places we ate on the trip. seriously. delicious.

How do you cope with making good food choices while away from home? How do you spot the real food and stay away from the processed food that calls our names? (I feel I deserve an award for staying away from the fried dough on the street carts of Boston, every time we passed by I wanted to try a bit so badly.. but I refrained. And had a crab roll instead. Cest la vie!) 

"a cure for the refractory"- behave or you will be tarred and feathered!


We didn't have much wifi on the trip, so I'm catching up on some internet browsing and feeling share-y! (totally a word) 


food for thought 


this bathroom visit enhancer is a bit interesting

I listened to as many of the Real Food Summit presenters as I could in the limited time I had, and I loved it. I plan on reading some of the presenters books and checking out their blogs/sites often! The list of presenters is at the end of the website linked above.

the summit made me rethink my dedication to unprocessed, real foods and how I've been slipping a lot lately. It's so easy to fall into familiar patterns of eating, especially ones that rely on convenience foods, it's way harder to take control and make the good food choices. I'm going to think about how to rededicate myself and what that looks like for me, since everyone's journey is so unique. I found this photo to sum up my feelings on it perfectly:



I just picked up this book, Wheat Belly, and we will see where that leads. I know my body doesn't respond well to wheat and sugar (does anyone? I get grouchy, bloated and hungry for more and I kinda think that's not unusual for us humans. Why do we keep eating it then? That's the question), I might just have to cut those bad boys out of my life. Seems drastic, but I think my health is worth it, don't you?

On a lighter note, I've been sitting by my computer, trying a bunch of pinterest hair tutorials and failing miserably. It's quite comical.

Speaking of comical:
organic witches!
Hope your summer is going well!

Enjoy!
-m

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any questions? Did I miss something in my post? Can you make a great connection to something above? I'd love to hear it! Share!