Wednesday, April 11, 2012

Spicy Sausage Cabbage Soup



Sometimes it seems to me that life is a bunch of befores and afters. Often little befores, before I bought my first real purse (a satchel!) and after, where nothing else compares and the canvas bags of yore are used for grocery shopping. I think we have a habit (the royal 'we', were I include everyone and no one all at once) of over emphasizing some befores & afters. We fantasize about how different life will be after we ____ (fill in the blank: start that new diet, buy that new car, move out, move in, start dating). Sometimes rightfully so, but more often the resulting 'after' is remarkably similar to the life before. And often again, we go through a before and after, a transition of sorts, without even recognizing it! How crazy is life? So. Crazy.

Here is my example. I have fantasized much about life's transitions and what a fabulous new thing is waiting for me as soon as I make my way from before to after. Most of the time though, I end up in nearly the same patterns and life doesn't change too much. It can be disappointing. Can't it?



I've spent a lot of time focusing on what's next, I just purchased a fabulous juicer and expect life to change very dramatically from here on out, but I seem to have missed a transition I didn't even know was occurring. I've gone from someone who buys pre-made soups to someone who can whip one up with what's on hand.

Hollah!

No, really though. How and when did this happen? Also, please tell me there is a soup boon occurring because I swear I see homemade soup recipes all around me.





I made this soup recently, I've made about a half dozen times, and Dylan asked me where I got the recipe from. I looked at him and thought long and hard about it. Where did this recipe come from? I looked around. No cookbook, no printout. Just the ordinary mess of prep work gone mad; casings of sausage on the meat cutting board, ends of chopped cabbage rolling about and mingling with carrot bits and pieces. I didn't have a recipe. How quaint.




Now, I can see how those of you who rock this kind of thing all the time may not be amazed. That's fine, I accept that. But I just realized you can make pretzels and wheat thins at home if I wanted to. And somewhere in the past six months I learned how to make soups from scratch with and without a recipe. What, what? Seriously. I did that.



It's all a part of this big transition I'm finding myself going through. My unprocessed food love affair. This recipe does include sausage, spicy delicious Italian sausage, and while I go all organic and buy the good stuff, you can use whatever type of sausage you are comfortable with. I am sure some guru's of unprocessed foods may not be fond of sausage, but the flavors- oh the flavors. Read the ingredients: avoid additives  like nitrates, flavorings, etc. to keep it unprocessed.

This soup is adored in this household. Adored. It's not the prettiest thing to hit the plate, but who the heck cares.



Spicy Sausage Cabbage Soup
serves 4

ingredients

1 lb organic spicy Italian sausage
1/2 head of cabbage, chopped (or more or less depending on your preference)
2 carrots, chopped into 1/4 inch rounds
4 cups vegetable stock

1 tablespoon chopped chives (garnish)



Warm a large soup pot at medium high heat. Start prepping by removing the casings on the sausage (if it came in casings). I make a cut down the inside curve of the sausage and peel back the casing very gently. Then, crumble the sausage into the warm pot and brown for 4-5 minutes. I prefer a good browning, cook to your desired doneness as the sausage will finish cooking in the soup later. Remove the sausage from the pot, but leave the fat in the pan.

Toss in the cabbage and carrots and stir it up to coat the veggies with the fat. Let the flavors combine for 1-2 minutes, then pour the vegetable stock in and bring it to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium and simmer until the vegetables are a bit tender, about 5-6 minutes, and then toss gently place the sausage back in. Let it simmer for another 10-15 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender and the sausage has cooked through. 

The soup is ready to go after the vegetables and sausage are cooked through. I often let it simmer for a bit longer to let all the flavors really combine or serve it the next day as it just gets better after a day. The spicy sausage creates a mild kick and if you are sensitive to spicy foods, substitute any other type of sausage you prefer.

Enjoy!
-m


2 comments:

  1. Looks incredible! I'm a huge cabbage fan and I can't wait to try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good to hear it! Cabbage seems highly underrated to me. Let me know if you do make it, I'd love to hear about how it turns out!

    ReplyDelete

Have any questions? Did I miss something in my post? Can you make a great connection to something above? I'd love to hear it! Share!