Sunday, August 26, 2012

Lessons Learned: Wheat Free, Week Three

Breakfast! Eggs, Canadian bacon and zucchini.
It's been about three weeks since I dove head first into a wheat free life.

I feel I've learned a few tidbits worth sharing:
  • Breakfast can seem challenging when you are used to muffins, cereal and toast as options; but my wheat free (gluten free? eh, the terminology doesn't concern me at the moment) breakfasts have been pretty fabulous and incredibly tasty (see the picture above if you don't believe me). I am eating quite a bit of eggs, but I also have leftover meats and veggies, nitrate free sausages and uncured bacon. Along with my green juice, of course. It's undeniably filling and I'm rarely ravenous by lunch, it's a good feeling. 
  • Also, I thought these breakfasts would be so utterly time consuming, but they are in fact rather quick. I often cook up the bacon or sausage the night before, while I'm cooking dinner, and have them ready to be reheated in the morning. I'm trying to tell myself 'no excuses', not having enough time is one of my all time favorite excuses to try to trick myself into bad habits.
    • Have I mentioned one of my favorite things I've read recently? I don't recall where it was but it suggested that instead of saying "I don't have time" replace that phrase with "It's not a priority" because that is in fact what you mean. Try it next time you find yourself uttering that excuse and you'll find you will either make time for it or realize it just isn't a priority.  
  • When I search for 'gluten free' foods, I often am inundated with fake cupcakes and cookies even though I'm honestly looking for satisfying meals- not cheat treats. Booger. I'm still searching for more fabulous blogs/sites. If you have any, please share!  
  • If a cooking video on you-tube has the word 'sexy' in the title, don't click on it. They're being literal. Even though they are talking about zucchini as pasta. 
hungry hungry hippos!!!!
hungry hungry hippo 
  • My hunger used to feel all consuming. I was constantly hungry, and it was non stop. A ravenous beast lived in my belly and turned me into a grouchy witch whenever I waited more than two hours between snacks or meals. Now, three weeks wheat free, I see how people wait for meals- I can see how hunger should feel. I can handle the hunger a lot more than I could before. I'm snacking way less, and finding it much easier to say no to the cookies in the staff room (yes, that actually happened. Cookies, doughnuts and muffins, oh my! I walked away from them all.)


    While it's not the best graphic, you see the spike and the drop so dramatically
  •  I ate some pizza last weekend, and it was delicious. About two hours after the super carb meal, I was completely overrun with the desire for cookie dough. I had some almonds instead, but it was a tough choice. I really wanted some sugar. I can't help but think there's a correlation here. 
    • I am having wheat once a week or so, if I want it. Trying to stay balanced! 

Super satisfying lunch option: walnuts, aged white cheddar, chopped zucchini
  • Simple lunches, like the one above, have kept me satisfied and I am so surprised. I used to pack so much stinkin' food every single day. This is crazy and I'm loving it. I am drinking lots of water and adding green tea to my days as well, I'm sure that helps too. 
  • While wheat is what I'm avoiding, I'm also staying away from sugar and I've found that once I have a bit of sugar, just a teeny tiny bit, the cravings for more last all stinking day. Geez. Not worth it. 
  • I'm not the only one in the household noticing that it feels better to eat less wheat. Dylan has adopted the breakfast routine and eats whatever I cook for dinner, and he has been talking about how fabulous he's feeling overall. 
  • I'm feeling pretty good too- but, in full disclosure, my sleeping has been strange. I've been waking up at about 3am and finding it hard to go back to sleep. I read something that suggested a few nuts or nut butter before sleep to keep blood sugar satisfied throughout the night. I've tried it and it seems to work. I'll take it! 
 It's been interesting, trying to avoid wheat and sugar, and remain on the unprocessed side of life. I'm loving it so far!

Hope your weekend is just fabulous!
-m

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Have any questions? Did I miss something in my post? Can you make a great connection to something above? I'd love to hear it! Share!